Saturday 12 October 2013

End of Week One

Well goodness me what a week that was!

I'd thought it would start slowly and build to a maximum of 30 cakes a week because this is as much as I can comfortably do on my own. As of yesterday I have sent out 20, mostly cookie bar bakes but some drizzles in there too. Long may it continue - I'm already getting enquiries about Christmas orders and next week's order book is filling up. I am genuinely amazed but also delighted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Things I have learned this week include:

Everything takes longer than you think - prepping, cooling, packing etc.

An Aga isn't reliable enough to produce consistent results for sale. All hail the mighty combi microwave.

The margin of error is tiny - 10g over the weight cost me an additional £3.85 in postage.

The kindness of friends is wonderful and overwhelming.

Spreadsheets are a pain in the arse to set up but it's endlessly fascinating to read the figures at the end of it all. Even more fun than watching your book go up and down the Amazon chart :)

Cookie dough is dense and therefore heavy. I may have to change the size of the tin to make it smaller in dimension but deeper.

Sticky toffee pudding likes to sticky to the lid. Again, a re-think on packaging is required.

Tying things up with string and assembling boxes is deeply satisfying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


All in all it has been a good week. Today I am doing nothing. At. All. Well other than waiting for the Ocado van to arrive and throwing a tuna bake together for tea later in front of Strictly. I love weekend TV again now that summer is over and the old favourites are back.

Something to whet your appetite :)

3 comments:

  1. If you ever need an incredibly talented and handsome baker to bake and post stuff from the E.Mids......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be fab if it came to that??!? :)

      Delete
  2. Look at You Go Girl!!!!!! Oh and you posted one picture of something that you made that almost had me licking my monitor..... Just... YUM!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete